• 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
• 1 large egg
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 tablespoon oil
1) Preheat griddle.
2) In a medium bowl, stir or sift dry ingredients together.
3) Beat egg, buttermilk, brown sugar, and oil together.
4) Stir buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients until just moist (batter should be slightly lumpy).
5) Pour 1/4 cup batter for each cake onto a lightly greased, hot griddle.
6) Flip cakes when bubbles appear on surface - turn only once.
Yield: 12 - 4 inch pancakes
Serving Size: 3 (4”) cakes Total Carb: 12 g
Calories: 234 Dietary Fiber: 6 g
Total Fat: 6 g Sodium: 534 mg
Calories from Fat: 16% Protein: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g Folate: 27 mcg
Trans Fat: 0 g Iron: 3 mg
(Reprinted with permission)
Courtesy of the Wheat Foods Council
• Top with your favorite fruit.
• Serve with hot, chunky, spiced applesauce or thick fruit sauce instead of syrup.
• Add 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries to the batter for delicious blueberry pancakes.
• Can’t find buttermilk? Try these substitutes for 1 1/3 cups buttermilk: 1 1/3 cup plain yogurt OR 1 1/3 cup milk plus 4 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice (let stand 10 minutes before using)
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Montana State University and Montana State University Extension prohibit discrimination in all of their programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital and family status. Issued in furtherance of cooperative extension work in agriculture and home economics, acts of May 8 and June 30, 1914, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Jill Martz, Director of Extension, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717
Montana State University Extension Service is an ADA/EO/AA/Veteran's Preference Employer and educational outreach provider.