• 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, chopped
• 2 carrots, chopped (1 cup)
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh or canned tomato
• 1 celery rib, chopped
• 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup dried lentils
• 4 cups water
• 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1) Heat oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes.
2) Add garlic, carrots, tomato, celery, cumin, and salt and sauté, stirring, 2 minutes.
3) Add lentils, water, and broth and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
4) Stir in parsley, then season with salt and pepper.
YIELD: 8 servings (1 cup each)
A simple, quick to prepare, tasty lentil soup that you’ll make over and over again. Recipe was adapted from one in the September 2002 Gourmet magazine.
• Try specialty lentil varieties, such as Petite Crimson or Black Beluga from www.timelessfood.com/.
• For a vegetarian variation, substitute vegetable broth for the
• Substitute (or add) other roots vegetables (like parsnips, turnips, or sweet potatoes) for the carrots.
Serving Size: 1 cup Total Carb: 18.7 g
Calories: 118 Dietary Fiber: 8.3 g
Total Fat: 1.5 g Sodium: 186 mg
Calories from Fat: 11.7% Protein: 7.7 g
Saturated Fat: 0.2 g Calcium: 38.0 mg
Trans Fat: 0.0 g Iron: 2.3 mg
Source: Timeless Natural Foods www.timelessfood.com/
The programs of the MSU Extension Service are available to all people regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status. Issued in furtherance of cooperative extension work in agriculture and home economics, acts of May 8 and June 30, 1914, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Dr. Douglas Steele, Vice Provost and Director, Extension Service, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717.
Montana State University Extension Service is an ADA/EO/AA/Veteran's Preference Employer and educational outreach provider.