Family & Consumer Sciences
Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) has many different topic areas and strive to improve the lives and well-being of individuals, families and communities. Montana State University Extension offers and provides educational resources in the areas of community health resources, family economics, family and human development, food and nutrition and, housing and environmental health.
Food Safety Classes
ServSafe Food Safety is offered through the MSU Cascade County Extension Office we provide the following classes:
- ServSafe Food Manger Exam Proctoring
- Please contact Katrin Finch for details on the next proctoring session.
- Registration for August 30th session
- ServSafe Food Handler Class (4 hour class)
- ServSafe Food Manager Class (8 hours class)
Food Preservation Classes
You Can! Canning Classes - contact the office at 454-6980 to register!
Remember - SPACE IS LIMITED!!! Register early!
Click here for more information and schedule of classes. To register please complete this form.
UPDATE: 8/23/17 - Week 2 and week 3 are currently full. If you are interested in week 2 and week 3 please complete the form and you will be added to the waiting list - if enough people are interested another class will be held.
***CHECK OUT THE NEWLY REVISED MONTGUIDES FOR FOOD PRESERVATION***
(These guides can be found on the MontGuide Index under the Food and Nutrition section, subsection Food Preservation)
- Jams and Jellies
- Basic Water Bath Canning
- Basic Pressure Canning
If you have any questions about the homemakers clubs or newsletter please do not hesitate to contact Katrin Finch at the extension office at 406-454-6980.
- A Piece of Pie
- This class discusses the tricks behind the ever so desired perfect pie crust! During this class you will sample pie crust made with a variety of ingredients and you choose which is the "flakiest" crust of all. Go home with tools, tips and tricks to pie crust and an individual pie.
- Cooking with Pulse Crops
- What is a pulse crop? Why should I use a pulse crop? What does a pulse crop taste like? Chances are you have had some sort of a pulse crop in a meal or two but, you had no idea what benefits were packed into that little tiny dried bean! Try something new and join us to get a pulse on your menu!
- Freezer Meal Frenzy
- In today's world of busy lives and no time to make a home cooked meal find the secret to success with freezer meals. In this class you will learn about meal planning, the financial impact of meal planning and much more! Add less frenzy to your life and join us to make dinner time on a busy night something enjoyable.
Family Economics/Financial Management Classes
- Solid Finances is series of free financial education webinars. The webinars are designed to empower you to take control of your finances by improving your knowledge of personal finance topics.
- Marlin the Monkey
- Who Wants to be a Credit Score Millionaire
Health and Human Development Classes
- DEEP (Diabetes Education Empowerment Program)
- Walking With Ease
Other Information and MSU MontGuides
For more information published by MSU Extension feel free to visit our website at msuextension.org
For MontGuides in the area of Family and Consumer Sciences click here