Yard & Garden
The Broadwater County Extension Office offers many services and educational materials related to yard and garden care. Here are just a few:
- Weed & Plant Identification
- Plant Disease Identification
- Insect and Spider Identification
- Soil Testing & Recommendations
- Tree, Turf and Garden Diagnostic Assistance
- Master Gardener Program
- Additional Educational Resources and Programs
Charges may apply for any samples that must be sent to a lab for identification or testing.
Plant or Tree Sample Guidelines
If bringing plant or tree samples to the office for identification, please follow these sampling guidelines:
- Bring sufficient plant materials. Not just one or two leaves! If practical include the entire plant including roots. If that can't be done include a good portion of the stem or branch.
- Wrap the roots in plastic and then rubberband the base. Including some soil is fine. Place the foliage in a plastic bag if possible. This will insure the sample will stay fresh longer if it takes several days for diagnosis. Do not bring dry samples.
- If you suspect disease problems, bring samples with mild, moderate and severe symptoms as well as a healthy comparison.
- Photos, especially of tree issues, are wonderful and encouraged! You can email them to email@example.com.
- Once you arrive to the office, you will be asked many questions including location, irrigation practices, plant history, pesticide, herbicide and fertilizer use and so on.
Insect or Spider Sample Guidelines
If you are bringing insect or spider samples, please follow these guidelines:
- Alive specimens are preferred when possible. That way they can be packaged correctly to send to the lab if necessary.
- If alive, use an escape proof container. The office can provide a vial if necessary. We can not guarantee that containers will be returned.
- Dead samples can be rehydrated using rubbing alcohol at the office.
- Once you arrive to the office, you will be asked many questions including location, pesticide use, infestation history, etc.